NASCAR Official Has Fired Back At Kevin Harvick's Remarks
Image credit - Getty images
A NASCAR executive once again defended the game from Kevin Harvick against criticism of its Next Gen vehicles.
Earlier this month, Harwick denounced the "dirty-ass parts" after his car caught fire at the Southern 500 on September 4.
He started selling shirts with that phrase on him after his left front tire collapsed during a race in Bristol on Saturday night.
On Tuesday, NASCAR Senior Vice President Scott Miller addressed ongoing safety concerns during an interview on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio (h/t NBC Sports).
"The Bristol is definitely a unique load case," said Miller.
"A few things came up with the steering that weren't expected...
Having problems is not acceptable, but it is probably part of the learning process for us.
“All the teams and OEMs (manufacturers) were involved in the RFP process when we selected the parts.
Everyone has a stake in this, and it's not just NASCAR that's picking up the quote-unquote, crappy parts."
Miller then acknowledged the current state of the vehicle as the Cup Series playoffs continue.
"With every part of this car being a really new part and a new design,
I think historically in racing, and in any area of life, when you do something new with departure,
There's a learning curve," Miller said.
"We're in that learning curve and working really hard to make sure everything works.
I think it is for the most part."
When Fox Sports' Bob Pokras asked what he needed to advance to the playoffs after the Bristol race,
Harwick replied "to stay on the wheels."
He's not the only one with a catch. Kyle Busch's playoff run ended with an engine failure.
Martin Truex Jr. echoed Harwick's "crappy parts" line after enduring steering issues.
Miller reiterated that the Bristol incidents were "not acceptable".
And they will "work diligently to find solutions where it doesn't happen again."